Title: 咱決意相疼 (Determination to Love One Another)
(John 15: 12-14, 13:34)
Speaker: Rev. David Lai
January 29, 2017
- In 2010, I was 70 year old and retired in Taiwan, and was invited by Osaka Chinese Presbyterian Church to be their pastor for three years. When I was in Japan, one day I watched one of NHK TV show. This show had selected three the most affectionate couples from entire Japan. They were interviewed and asked one question, which is the most happy, meaningful, and fast way to travel from Tokyo to Osaka. The answers are…….respectively.
- One month after this show, there were almost one hundred best selling books named “Good companion go hand in hand” were published.
- When I was pastor at Siang-Lian Presbyterian church. I named Hymn #317 “We determine to love each other” as church anthem.
(II) Introduction of Hymn #317: Margaret Gauld (Mrs. Wu Ma-li 1867-1960, 48 year in Taiwan).
- She was called the mother of choirs in the northern and southern Taiwan.
- The famous Hymn’s composer Pastor Louh shian-chuen and Professor Chen shy-chi were taught by her. And Professor Shiau tay-ran professor was influenced by her to become the top composer.
- Hymn “O come let us sing, sing and praise Jehovah” was introduced by her and became the famous piece of Hymn in Taiwan church.
- She lived in Taiwan for 48 years, became a true Taiwanese. In her latter years she went back to Canada and pass away there at the age of 94.
(III) Starting from Dr. George Mackay, the first missionary from Canada
- In 1872, he came to Taiwan and married Taiwanese girl name Chang tsong, latter changed name to Chang tsong-ming.
- In 1886, he went back to Oxford county, Canada. He promoted and reported missionary work in Taiwan, and called believer to go to Taiwan for missionary. One high school student (Mr. William Gauld) decided to go to Taiwan for minister. But his brother advised him to complete the necessary study in Canada first. Therefore, he studied and graduated from the University of Toronto, Knox Seminary. Then, married a girl (Margaret Mellis) who graduated from the University of Toronto university majored in music. One month their wedding, they took the cross continental train, and steamship to Taiwan.
(IV) The contribution of William Wu (Gauld) and Margaret Wu (Gauld)
- Dr. Mackay is an evangelical minister and Mr. and Mrs. Wu are the ministers for church’s organization, development and education
- Without Mr. and Mrs. Wu, there won’t be any of the followings : Mackay Memorial Hospital which located at Zhong-shen north road, College of Nursing, Siang-Lian church in Taipei, Taiwan Theological College & Seven Star Presbyterian Church in Taipei.
- However, the biggest contribution of Mr. and Mrs. Wu is to move the mission center from Tamsui to Taipei. Then they were criticized and opposed by many people, because they selected Siang-Lian as the center for Taipei mission in stead of prosperous Ban-ka and Toa-tui-tseng.
- Among opposite voice, some people even wanted to chase them back to Canada.
- Fortunately, his (Mr.Wu) intelligent and faith wife Margaret wrote a letter to him. After he read her letter, he cried and advised his wife to compose it as a Hymn. This is how Hymn #317 was produced.
- In the journey of our life, the most commendable thing is that someone gives a helping hand and enable us to stand up again when we are in difficulty and hardship.
- A church’s thriving doesn’t depend on how many members in the church and how beautiful the church is, it is determined on the members of church who care about and determine to love each other.